> One of the problems with a capitalist society (or, more generally, a
commodity-producing one) is that market competition encourages rampant
individualism and instrumentalism, undermining the needed fellow-feeling and
trust.

A problem I think is that many leftist politico's think that "solidarity" is
just about that fellow-feeling and trust, even although they do nothing to
actually create that fellow-feeling and trust within their own ranks. I
would say that is this is one of the most basic reasons why rightwing people
are often more successful. Personally, I've had the experience of getting
more work done in a church, than in a Marxist meeting.

J.