Personally, I often think that love is smoking your last cigarette, and
knowing that you'll never smoke again, because your are faced with something
fantastic (or have something fantastic in your face) which makes that you
don't want to smoke anymore.

My hunch is that human awareness is best categorised in terms of
subconscious, subjective, intersubjective, objective, reality-transforming,
and transcendent (these forms build on each other). Different facets of love
apply to each of those forms of awareness. But as I suggested, love is
contained in practices and relations involved in interchanges between
people - acts of giving, getting, receiving and taking (which, in a market
economy, become to an extent reified). Forms of awareness mediated those
interchanges, but those interchanges go beyond that awareness, such being
the limitations of human consciousness.

On that foundation, I could devise a praxiological theory of love and so on,
which explicates all the different permutations there are. But, you can
analyse that and bore that to death, and such a theory would be only as
satisfactory as the ability to implement the theory; and in my experience,
it is possible to theorise far more than you can put into practice, i.e. a
scholar can have far too much theory, making his practice one-sided, just as
a practicist can have far too much practice and not enough theory, making
his practice also one-sided.

That aside, the "transcendent" part of human awareness cannot be theorised
using logical operators, it can at most be named, but even the naming is not
free from multiple interpretations or alternative namings, so, it is kind of
poetic. A mystical statement is a statement the object of which is
indefinite, hence prone to paradoxes which refer to the contradictions in
human experience. Thus, the Koran suggests that whereas poets have their
role, you shouldn't think that poetry can substitute for other forms of
awareness, especially in regard to leadership (to get the full flavour of
the idea you really have to follow the Arabic, but I do not understand
Arabic).

I just got back from a trip to the Bijlmer which was enjoyable, and you
could see a lot of love there, in fact quite a few people were smiling,
unusual for Amsterdam, except on holidays, when it's sunny. As I got back
home, one of my neighbours said in passing, "you're naive". Which probably I
am in certain aspects (I don't know to which part of my behaviour he was
referring, the interview, talking to particular people, or not picking up a
girl, or something like that).

It's a funny culture here really, because people are both very judgemental
and very tolerant, i.e. both strong opinions and live-and-let-live. There's
always supposed to be something wrong with me, especially since I rarely
join in Dutch culture these days (because I often experience it as rather
harsh, corrupt, criminal, heartless and exploitative if I get
hypersensitive; I don't like the Dutch circuses either). Dutch people like
to think about what other people deserve or do not deserve, whereas I am
thinking about dessert.

Probably as regards pop music, the love song I like the best is a very
simple, calm and modest number John Lennon wrote, called straightforwardly
"Love" (very literal, rather than metaphoric), which has terrific harmonics
in it, from a musical point of view (I actually like a version of it done by
a female singer better, she has a fuller, more modulated voice, larger tonal
range, more conviction, pathos and dignity in it, but I have forgotten who
it was, I saw it on TV once; it's difficult to sing, so it actually sounds
good rather than pathetic). At that time he wrote it, JL had been doing his
Primal Scream stuff with Dr Arthur Janov, trying to get his pain out through
the vocal chords, so his singing wasn't the best anyhow, rather raw. Ah wel,
you tend to like the music you grew up with, that is really anchored in your
experience. Arguably pop music is about sex, not about love, but really pop
music is mostly about whatever is popular, I would think, and the themes
change.

Jurriaan