Ok, so I broke my promise, but... this is too much..   And it proves
exactly my points.  The scarcity theorists are Malenthusiasts at the
bone, concerned about nothing so much as the old in and out, who gets to
reproduce and who gets cut.

There's nothing good or lucky if "the scare-mongers are correct."  For
one, you're not going to have anything to eat, unless you happen to have
a farm, and the weapons to protect it.  Secondly, even if you do, you
won't be able to maintain the acreage. Dwindling output is the result of
agricultural pseudo self-sufficiency.  That is the truth of history.

You won't be able to go anywhere-- no conferences, no seminars, no book
tours-- petroleum supports 99% of the world's commercial transportation.

Shift to coal?  That would be the least of it.  Every bit of biomass--
trees, bushes, dried grasses would be burnt.  It would make Pinatubo
look like morning fog.

Solve the population pressure?  Maybe.  Like the plague solves
overcrowding.  Gee now that's a lucky day, isn't it?

But you were both only kidding, right?

dms