Mea culpa -- I realize it is extremely bad form to send out a string of very short
posts containing addenda to previous ones, so I'll stop (I think that because I am
doing this while preoccupied with various and sundry pressing issues contributes to
this). But I thought I should add on teh subject of higher education in Russia that
the percentage of Russian young people in institutions of higher learning has greatly
increased since 1991, largely as a way of getting out of or at least postponing
military service (which might mean Chechnya and has a lot of brutal hazing).
(Education correlates with income a lot more than it used to as well, at least in
certain fields.)