        From: PEN-L list on behalf of Doug Henwood
        Sent: Sun 7/4/2004 9:30 AM
        To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Skewering "Fahrenheit 9/11"

        Michael Hoover wrote:

        >first problem with above article: venue & environment that author viewed
        >film,
        >get out some man, go see film in mass. equivalents of kissimmee fl,
        >ocala, fl, eustis, fl (places where film is playing, towns where no
        >films like this ever play)...

        I saw it in Danvers, Mass., on a visit to the in-laws. Not exactly
        Kissimmee, I don't think, but a long way from Northampton, too.
        Though there were some members of "the choir" in the audience, most
        weren't. And the reaction was vocal, emotional, and quite positive.

        Visiting my father in suburban NJ yesterday, we overheard a sweet
        gray-haired lady in a chain steakhouse urging fellow diners to see
        the movie. She was wearing a powder-blue suit, not a "George Bush,
        war criminal" t-shirt.

        >so what does article leave readers with, self-congratulatory air of
        >author who is able to see michael moore for what he 'really' is, like
        >wow...  michael hoover

        It leaves readers like me with the feeling that Valentine is
        repackaging cheap envy as a critique.

        Doug