it's previewing in London this evening, and you can't get tickets for love
or money (I believe; to be honest I've only really tried offering money)

dd

-----Original Message-----
From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Doug
Henwood
Sent: 04 July 2004 17:30
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Skewering "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Michael Hoover wrote:

>first problem with above article: venue & environment that author viewed
>film,
>get out some man, go see film in mass. equivalents of kissimmee fl,
>ocala, fl, eustis, fl (places where film is playing, towns where no
>films like this ever play)...

I saw it in Danvers, Mass., on a visit to the in-laws. Not exactly
Kissimmee, I don't think, but a long way from Northampton, too.
Though there were some members of "the choir" in the audience, most
weren't. And the reaction was vocal, emotional, and quite positive.

Visiting my father in suburban NJ yesterday, we overheard a sweet
gray-haired lady in a chain steakhouse urging fellow diners to see
the movie. She was wearing a powder-blue suit, not a "George Bush,
war criminal" t-shirt.

>so what does article leave readers with, self-congratulatory air of
>author who is able to see michael moore for what he 'really' is, like
>wow...  michael hoover

It leaves readers like me with the feeling that Valentine is
repackaging cheap envy as a critique.

Doug