Shane M. writes:
>In the depths of WW One Lenin felt called upon to study the Science
of Logic.  He found it revelatory, and in his "Philosophical Notebooks"
he wrote (I quote from memory, perhaps inexactly):

>"It is impossible to understand Das Kapital without a thorough
comprehension of Hegel's Science of Logic.  That is why, after
fifty years, none of the Marxists has understood Marx."<

Daniel D: >was he right?<

I'd say so (though there may have been Marxists before Lenin who studied
the SCIENCE OF LOGIC and Lenin never heard about it). I think reading
Hegel helps one understand Marx, but that it's too bad that one has to
read Hegel to do so.

Charles B: >I'm quite open to Hegel in relatively simple language
compared to the
original.  From my experience, the translation to  simpler language
would be
a complicated project itself though.  Are you saying someone has put
Hegel (or dialectics)
into simpler language ?<

Levins & Lewontin's DIALECTICAL BIOLOGIST presents a good effort to
present dialectical method (epistemology) in the language of science.

They summarize it as describing the totality (whole) that we have to
understand in which "parts make whole" (the various individuals and
internal structures of a totality create the totality itself) and "whole
makes part" (the nature of these individuals and structures is
profoundly shaped by the totality in which they operate). This
back-and-forth doesn't settle down into any kind of equilibrium.
Instead, the totality is always changing.

(an example: under capitalism, our actions create history, though not
exactly as we please, since we are constrained by various institutional
structures (such as corporations or political parties). The nature of
our consciousness and thus our actions is in turn shaped and largely
determined by our positions within capitalism, while the institutional
structures are also shaped and largely determined by capitalism's laws
of motion.)

To L&L, the dialectical method does not produce answers to our questions
as much as questions to ask of the real (empirical) world.

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine