Chris Doss wrote:

> It's counterinsurgency war -- the main victims in
> counterinsurgency war are always civilian. It's
> probably the most brutal form of warfare there is. I
> don't know about the state of the Indian Army, but
> most of the horrors against civilians in Chechnya
> (leavinf aside the tricky question of how to define
> the term "civilian") are the result of terrified and
> trigger-happy drafted soldiers who want to get home
> alive and therefore shoot first and ask questions
> later.
>
> BBC> What started as essentially an indigenous popular
> uprising in
> BBC> Indian-administered Kashmir has in the last 12
> years undergone
> BBC> major changes.
>
> Sounds like Chechnya to me. I would go as far as to
> say that anytime the international mujaheedin start to
> figure prominantly in a conflict, it has almost
> certainly been hijacked.

that may be true, but would you then agree with BBC's assessment that it
started as an essentially indigenous and popular uprising? if so, that
is all the more reason to ask the people. counterinsurgency warfare
might be a dirty business (and i doubt you condone it), but it is all
the more dirty when the actions are partially aimed at silencing the
people or denying them a voice.

        --ravi