Paul wrote:

> [See what happens with some encouragement - soon
> I'll be overposting!

Is there a limit on posting?

> For India, from 1992 to 2001, the GNI increased by
> 64% when calculated by
> the World Bank "Atlas" method (non-PPP).

I presume this comment is about India's GDP as a whole
and not the GDP for the bottom 20% of the population.
Is this figure ok?

>But for
> the same period GNI
> increased by 91% using PPP!

So what is your objection?

> It is
> not just that India is made to look less poor via
> developed countries

Perhaps India should always look worse that what it
really is?

> Furthermore, the discrepancy between the two methods
> grows - by as much as
> 4 or 5 times - during the neo-liberal period (tell
> me off-line if you want
> the chart for India, the change is dramatic).

What do you mean by the term "neo-liberal" in the
context of Indian economy?

> there is a "bias in the
> bias" which shows neo-liberalism as a great success.

It could be your bias which is dismissive of the
"Third World" and its achievements.

> Then the
> statistics are used to prove
> correct the assumptions from the free market model.
> [BTW there are various
> flavors of PPP-type models.  The Bank has chosen the
> most extreme version
> that has the most free-market assumptions.  The
> other versions of PPP,
> logically, produce lower numbers.  See below for
> examples.]

You can use other sources. Indian resources, e.g.
Indian's Central Bank publishes data. Perhaps that
source is also tainted one?

Btw, infant mortality in India has declined from 250
to 70 per thousand in 50 years. How is it that India's
population has gone up from about 400 million to 1 bn
in 50 years?

Ulhas