my understanding of the whole thing is that the popular revulsion to Ford in the Pinto case was basically Kantian; they didn't consider the people's deaths as a "cost" in themselves, but only in as much as some proportion of the deaths would probably give rise to lawsuits which would affect Ford's profits.  This is of course a class-tilted way of looking at the costs; presumably there was an implicit assumption that since the Pinto was a cheap car, most of the deaths would be of poor people who'd be less likely to sue.  But I think that the really revolting thing which caught the popular imagination was the idea that the only way that Ford looked at deaths of its customers was as a potential legal liability to Ford.

dd

Actually the Pinto case raises a very deep and extremely hard issue. What exactly whas it that Ford did that seems to terribly wrong? I don't dispute the idea that Ford did something bad, but what was it?