http://revolutionaryflowerpot.blogspot.com/2010/03/compromises-up-above-struggles-below.html
Sunday, March 21, 2010
Khiaban No. 63: Compromises Up Above, Struggles Below

Translation of a lead article from Khiaban newspaper's latest
issue (#63).

Big Compromises Up Above, Great Struggles Down Below
by Amir K.

In the last days of the year 1388 [in the Iranian calendar], two
small but important pieces of news regarding the media world were
published: the suspension of the bans on two newspapers, Sharq
(East) and E'temaad (Trust). At first glance, this news could be
interpreted as good news. After all, isn't freedom of expression
an important demand of the people? So, maybe we should march forth
ecstatically to a new phase, one of retreat by the dictatorship in
the face of the people's demands. Maybe we should join the
bandwagon of [reformist journalists] and hum along, "Little by
little, our caravan shall arrive." [paraphrase - trans.]

But if we look at the recent events from the point of view of the
people [and not from the viewpoint of the reformists], we see a
different face. Although the recent crackdown on the media in Iran
has severely restricted the distribution of news compared to the
past, as it has further revealed the oppressive face of the
regime, it also brought with it important revelations for the
people. Every day that brought the news of banning and chaining of
yet another media outlet also saw the postscript news of the
social positions/connections of the publishers and managers of the
banned newspapers and magazines. Everybody saw that these outlets
belonged to this or that relative of some major reformist figure,
or renowned member of some reformist party or organization. People
saw how even these 'freest' of the media in Iran had an
intertwined relationship with different factions of the regime. We
never heard of any media outlet belonging to an independent
association or institution. We never heard of any journalists
independent of these factions, nor heard of one or more
intellectuals from the dominated classes or groups having
publishing rights for any media in Iran.

Against this background, the resumption of the publication and
distribution of [reformist] media can be a barometer of many
things, but not or freedom of expression. We can speak of moving
toward [an atmosphere respectful of] freedom of expression only
when subjugated groups in society, as well as journalists and
media activists independent from power, have the right to publish
newspapers or periodicals in the society.

But if the lifting of the ban on E'temaad and Sharq is not a sign
of retreat by the regime, then what does it signify? It seems that
a big transformation is in the making regarding the regime's
politics. Although many political analysts are still focusing on
the huge schism at the heights of the regime and believe that the
deepening of the fight between the Islamic Republic's factions
have reached an irreversible phase, the signs tell a different
story. The events of the last nine months in Iran have led to the
complete ruin of the regime's legitimacy in the eyes of the
people. No government, lacking the consent and approval of a
majority of the society, is capable of staying in power in the
long run. Ahmadinejad's faction has maximally used short-term
tools to ensure the continued existence of the regime: generous
use of undisguised violence; shooting bullets straight at the
hearts and throats of dissidents; macabre, fascistic detention
centers; imprisonments, the beatings [and the tortures], and the
executions. But the persistence of the people in fighting back
destroyed regime's legitimacy on a societal scale. The hidden,
black history of the regime has been exposed: the mass killings of
the 1980s, the mass executions of the political prisoners in 1988,
the discriminatory and oppressive laws against women, workers,
sexual minorities, oppressed national minorities, and ... became
the topics of discussion all throughout the society, and the
demands for changing the ruling political system became
ubiquitous. For the people downstairs no longer want this regime.

The inability of the security forces to quickly defeat the
dissidents on the streets pushes the regime toward a big
compromise at the top. They must not allow the people to continue
getting the news on their own, or to analyze things themselves, or
to distribute hand to hand what they deem necessary. Paper
factories must once again produce and distribute social conformity
in accordance with the necessities of keeping the Islamic Republic
alive. The reformist faction, in return, can keep its power seat
in Tehran, and continue to be patient and struggle on, and not
have to move its seat of power, like others in the opposition, to
France or Iraq. The ruling regime knows that Khamenei's television
is incapable of restoring to it any legitimacy. However, perhaps
the 'free' Green media can do that. Especially when there is no
obvious alternative that could stop the growth and spread of
organizational activities among the people. Big compromises are in
the works up above. But, down below, in the depths of the society,
great stirrings of struggle are brewing.