----- Original Message -----
From: "paul phillips" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Michael,
My argument is not only moral, it is also technical and personal.  Yes
we must have a moral compass, but we also must have a technically sound
plan.  This is why I quote Keynes who pointed out that intergenerational
transfers are the only sound economic system for providing pensions.
 David may be consistent and consistently libertarian, but he is
technically unsound.  Finally, on a personal security basis, if I am not
willing to provided for my parents, how can I expect my children to
provide for me.  I am now retired and living off my pension, including
my CPP, and I never complained about paying premiums throughout my
working life.  As far as I was concerned, it was only
(intergenerational) insurance for my own welfare.  The attitude of
David's I find incomprehensible not only on a moral basis, but also on a
technical and self-interest basis.

Paul P

======================

David's arguments are technically unsound precisely because -it seems to
me, at least from the arguments he's provided over the past few years- he
hasn't thought through the intertemporal/multigenerational implications of
a libertarian perspective on ethical issues related to savings and
investment. They are *very tough* issues even for those of us who think
liberty is of paramount importance in a finite world and the proclivities
for authoritarianism are something we must constantly keep our minds on.

Even from a libertarian perspective, the "privatization" of SS would be a
form of *forced savings*. That's why we need to rethink not only the
technical issues of risk/uncertainty but the normative issues of risk
shifting across time and, more importantly perhaps, ecological space[s].