I guess that I fixed on your term "mechanical".  There will be some effect, but
..

There are a number of studies like this:

Goldberg, Pinelopi Koujianou and Michael M. Knetter. 1997. "Goods Prices and
Exchange
Rates: What Have We Learned?" Journal of Economic Literature, 35: 3
(September): pp.
1243-72.
  1243: In January 5, 1994, the dollar was worth 113 yen, while by April 19,
1995, it was
worth only 80 yen.  This represented a 34 percent appreciation of the yen
against the
dollar.  Industrial production per manufacturing employee in Japan and the U.S.
grew by 9
percent and 5 percent, respectively, while manufacturing wages grew by 4.1
percent in Japan
and 2.5 percent in the U.S.  Thus labor costs fell by about 30 percent in the
U.S. relative
to Japan during this period.
  1243-4: One might expect tremendous substitution of U.S. for Japanese labor in
manufacturing, but seasonally adjusted measures of industrial production grew
by 6 percent
in Japan compared to only 5 percent in the United States over the five-quarter
period of
the currency swing.
  1244: Foreign buyers of Japanese products did not experience substantial
price increases,
in spite of the sharp increase in Japanese labor costs.  For example, in 1994,
a Toyota
Celica ST Coupe made in Japan sold in the U.S. at $16,968.  In 1995, the same
the Celica
cost $17,285, a price increase of less than 2 percent.
  1244: They refer to destination-specific changes in markups on exports.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321