Jonathan Nitzan wrote:

> Differential accumulation works partly through mass
> persuasion and the
> use of force.

If that's the best it can do, it's an elephant
labouring to give birth to a mouse. We could ask,
then, what's persuasion?; what's force? but let's not
go there until we give value theory one more kick at
this can.

> Incidentally, can value theory “predict” those sort
> of things?

Yes, setting aside the loaded term "predict" I believe
it can explain what the obstacles to effective
political action have been and at least suggest which
forms of struggle or kinds of persuasion might be more
effective than others. I believe Marx did this when he
identified the struggle over the length of the working
day as the strategic lynchpin for the working class in
the middle of the 19th century.

A single sentence sums up that identification for me
better than any mathematical demonstration of falling
rates of profit or any other supposed tendency or
counter tendency of capital: "the limitation of the
working day is a preliminary condition without which
all further attempts at improvement and emancipation
must prove abortive..." Although in Capital Marx coyly
attributed the resolution to the International Working
Men's Association at Geneva, he was also the author of
the resolution, according to the records of the
association.

Now, I'm not sure we mean exactly the same thing by
value theory. You seem to be primarily concerned with
the laws of motion of capital, while I would see the
whole mathematical demonstration of these "laws" as
Marx's digressive attempt to settle scores with
classical political economy. In terms of settling
scores with classical PE, he succeeded. But I don't
think the laws of motion take us beyond that.

The questions classical political economy posed in the
first place were misguided. As Dilke (I'll assume the
anonymous author was Dilke) wrote, political economy
is concered only with the contradictory notion that
"the richest nations in the world are those where the
greatest revenue is or can be raised; as if the power
of compelling or inducing men to labour twice as much
at the mills of Gaza for the enjoyment of the
Philistines, were proof of any thing but a tyranny or
an ignorance twice as powerful."

What I mean by value theory is the qualitative, social
and historical analysis that focuses on the
distinctions between, for example, the production of
absolute and relative surplus value and the formal and
real subsumption of labour under capital in the labour
process.

When Marx uses numbers to give substance to those
qualitative factors, I'm perfectly content to view
them as hypothetical, illustrative numbers and not as
representative of quantities that are, even in
principle, measurable. In other words, the numbers are
simply more vivid illustrations of the commonplace
concepts of "more", "less" or "the same". They are
like the colours on a map. The last time I looked, it
wasn't at all obvious to me that Canada was "blue" and
the US was "orange" but that's what it shows in the
atlas.

Today -- as in the middle of the 19th century -- the
strategic focus of struggle is with regard to time,
albeit in a very different way then when Marx analyzed
it. We're not dealing anymore with the transition from
absolute to relative production of surplus value, nor
with the transition from relative to general, social
production of value, which I believe characterized
Marx's epoch.

I think we're dealing with something dreadfully new
that can only sound paradoxical if described in terms
of the old categories. Virno refers to it as the
"communism of capital" and I think the impossibility
of that term expresses something of the impossibility
of the operation that is going on. The production of
surplus value no longer needs to take place within a
production process or site characterized by the sale
and purchase of labour power. I am producing surplus
value at this very moment that you and anyone else
reading this may realize "on my behalf" two months or
two years from now in some seminar, conference, class
room or television studio. It only awaits its
revenue-generating moment.

Again I return to the anonymous pamphlet that Marx
imperfectly "rescued from oblivion." In that pamphlet
value and even surplus value were _moral_ terms that
could be opposed to revenue and exaction. A world
composed only of value and surplus value would within
very few years evolve into paradise because value and
surplus value have limits. Dilke didn't imagine that
we lived in that world. Revenue has no limit.

Capital can produce as much revenue as it can imagine.
But ultimately neither capital nor the capitalist nor
that state nor anyone else can consume revenue. So
that revenue exists only so long as capital agrees to
forego consumption or only insofaras it can _exact_
value from the value producing process, essentially as
an accessory to the state's power to tax. Enron,
et.al., was an anomaly only to the extent that the
creativity of the accounting procedures exceeded the
consensus level of innovation in degree, not in kind.

Finance capital that produces no consumable product
(even immaterial) is only fictitious in that regard.
It is decidedly non-fictional in its claims against
total value of commodities. It is not fictituous
capital that is destroyed in a crisis; it is only a
portion of the total claims that exceeds the value of
commodities available to be consumed. It could very
well be somebody's first social security check that
they have already fully funded through payroll
contributions that has to be destroyed. The claims of
"fictitious capital" against that social security
check may very well be more real than the retiree's
because one is enforcable and the other isn't.

So I can see where value theory or value may seem to
be inoperative concepts. They no longer attach
themselves to a formidable portion of the accumulation
process. They are like human rights in Guantanamo --
something to be adjudicated by agencies with no
particular stake in upholding human rights. Value is
produced over here and over here and here and capital
is accumulated over there and over there and there.
But instead of the discrepency pointing to an economic
crisis for capitalism it points to a crisis of
character (cynicism), of subjectivity (opportunism)
and of community (fear).

Perhaps by abandoning value we could reconcile
ourselves to all this and see it as just the way
things are. After all it IS the way things are.

The Sandwichman