James wrote:

> REPLY: right. But there was also the class issue of
> workers vs. bureaucrats.

I wrote:

Which Yeltsin appealed to brilliantly -- "we must get
rid of the priviliges of the bureaucrats!" (This
sounds hilarious today, at a time when bureaucrats in
Russia live at a level beyond their wildest Soviet
dreams.)
---

I add:

It occurs to me that we are confusing the historically
related but distinct issues of a) the collapse of the
USSR as a geopolitical unit and b) the collapse of the
Soviet system and Communist Party. The nationalism
issue concerns mostly a, and the bureaucrat-worker
conflict concerns mostly b. You could conceivably have
had b without a or vice versa.

(There was nothing _requiring_ the newly-independent
states from adopting more-or-less Western models.
Certainly Belarus and Turkmenistan haven't adopted
Western models even rhetorically: the former is
quasi-Soviet in political and economic organization,
and the latter is dominated by a Cult of Personality
similar to North Korea, with lots of state
intervention in the economy.)

=====
Nu, zayats, pogodi!