At 01:45 PM 2/27/2005, you wrote:
On 27/feb/05, at 20:06, Julio Huato wrote:

Massimo Portolani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

If the history of the sterling pound in the international markets is
any guide, the preeminence of the USD is already declining and will
continue to decline rather gradually (punctuated by a few sharp
adjustments and crises), in sync with the vanishing edge in US
productivity and standard of living.  Of course, I'm assuming the
world won't totally spin out of control...

Julio

I am not so sure of this, it appears to me that the Sterling pound
suffered 2 wars and the collapse of its empire, it didn't give up
voluntarily.

Massimo

The first war created a serious crisis for Britain, and the second finished off the empire. But it's important to note that the U.S. bankrolled the British-French war effort in 1914-18. Even at that point Britain was in a state of serious relative decline and a new world master had made an entrance on the stage. There are some interesting parallels with the UK then and U.S. reliance on foreign credit now. That may be Julio's point.

John