The one exception to my opposition to the no cut in
pay rule would be at the minimum wage. The total
income from minimum wage at standard hours shouldn't
be allowed to be cut. I would suggest you could take
this one step further and argue that the dollar amount
of the wage increase necessary to maintain minimum
wage would make a good benchmark for a minimum
across-the-board wage increase.

This is a claim strictly on the basis of economic
equity not economics. It's a rhetorically more
compelling argument than give us "something for
nothing".

For example, say the minimum wage is $8 an hour. At 40
hours a week that's $320 a week so the wage for a
32-hour week should be at least $10 an hour, an
increase of 25%. That same two-dollar wage increase
would represent a 20% wage increase for somebody
previously making $10 an hour and a 10% wage increase
for someone making $20 an hour.

Now at this point you can add in the job
protection/job creation angle and the argument about
productivity gain and there's no contradiction. Some
of the reduction in hours is covered by productivity
gains and some of it goes to expand employment. The
fact that wages may benefit at the expense of profits
is nicely balanced by the fact that the wage scale
itself becomes more even. This is called a
'solidaristic' outcome. It's quite the opposite of the
two-tier agreements that give concessions for less
senior workers while protecting the benefits of the
more senior.

Speaking of two-tier wage settlements, let's say a
union negotiates a contract that preserves $25 an hour
wage for existing employees and introduces a $18.50
top for new hires (plus watering down of pension and
health insurance plans). Is that "no cut in pay"
because the new people never got a chance to make the
$25 rate?

"'We believe this agreement will play a vital role in
making Delphi's U.S. plants economically viable for
many years to come, providing greater economic
security for current UAW-Delphi workers while laying
the foundation for creating new jobs,' added Richard
Shoemaker, UAW vice president."

Dear Richard, I have news for you...

The Sandwichman