Marvin Gandall wrote:

> In other words, they would opt
> for the more shallow cut
> in work time, unless they felt they could bridge the
> gap through OT

That is true enough in today's way of thinking but it
wasn't always thus. The old employers' complaint and
justification for lower wages was that as soon as the
workers made enough to live on they would quit. Little
do most workers realize how much it costs them (in
work related expenses, loss of leisure time, loss of
future earning power) to make a little more income
now.

And rarely do unions try to educate their members
about the costs and benefits of working a lot more for
slightly more income versus working a lot less for
slightly less income. It is the exceptions that
highlights how rare this is: Julie White at the
Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union
(Canada). The Canadian Auto Workers union produced
some pamphlets on the issue. For a while, about eight
years ago, the CLC formed an ad hoc committee on
shorter working time but as far as I know they've gone
moribund. The AFL-CIO when it was campaigning against
the Republican slashing of the FLSA provisions
emphasized the reliance of working families on the
income they received from overtime work. Well, it's
sad that it has come to people needing overtime pay to
pay the bills but it is also "pathetic" in the
derogatory sense of the term.

> I fail to see how
> this fails to meet the
> criterion of a "shorter work week at no loss in pay"
> than the existing 40
> hours at $10.

40 hours at $10 = $400 a week
37.5 hours at 10.67 = $400.12 a week
32 hours at $11.25 = $360 a week (a $40 a week "cut in
pay")

(or, using my proposed no cut in pay at the minimum
wage benchmark: $32 hours at $12 = $384, a $16 dollar
a week "cut".

The Sandwichman