Marvin Gandall wrote:

> Tom
> manufactures his case by using the
> weekly rate.

I wish that was true. Then I could just as easily
unmanufacture it. When unions say no cut in pay, they
mean no cut in weekly (or annual) pay not no cut in
hourly wage. I'm not making it up. Honest. But see the
following:

> 1) No union would fight for a 20% reduction in hours
> and a 20% pay increase
> if it would result in a net LOSS in their members'
> weekly take home pay -

That's exactly what they (&I) mean by no cut in pay --
"a LOSS in their weekly take home pay."  Although
technically it's not a "loss" because they're earning
a higher wage and working fewer hours. So what's this
about the case I'm manufacturing?

> Maybe Tom, who has
> researched this area
> extensively, can some provide examples of unions
> which have triumphantly
> done so, but I doubt he has found many.

Well, yes, for example the Communications, Energy and
Paperworkers Union negotiated several contracts which
involved shorter hours without a fully compensating
increase in hourly wages. I've got the CEP pamphlets
and will post particulars when I get the chance. The
thing is workers were often apprehensive before hand
that the drop in income would effect them more than it
does. But in reality they pay less taxes, their
expenses go down and they find they really appreciate
the extra time off.

> 2) By the same token, no company would reward their
> workers with an 20% pay
> hike and a 20% decrease in their work time - and
> then declare victory to
> their shareholders and the Chamber of Commerce. Tom
> might find some evidence
> of company boards telling angry investors that this
> did not really represent
> a "shorter work week at no loss in pay", but I doubt
> he would find many.

I have to remind you, Marvin, that I said my example
was not an _economic_ one. That is what I meant. Look,
the precise percentages are just for the sake of easy
illustration.  A real world example wouldn't need to
be so strikingly unlikely.

> The shorter work week is not as complicated an issue
> as Tom makes out.

Hold on a minute. It wouldn't be complicated if people
didn't imagine problems and solutions and fallacis
that don't exist but they do and that's what makes it
complicated. And yes companies are more receptive to
short time working during a slump and it's in the
context of a cutback. Unions SHOULD be fighting for
shorter work time during the good times but they
don't. The issue usually comes up for unions when
layoffs are imminent or unemployment is rising.

> If Tom is wondering why most unions don't embrace
> reduced hours at reduced
> pay, as he has advocated, the explanation lies here.

That's why the issue is complicated, not why it's
simple. ;-) Unions, employers and governments all have
*positions* on shorter working time that are in some
respect irrational and based on myths and
miscalculations. It isn't showing greater sympathy to
the interests of the workers to buy the union version
of the myth.

Look, not even the unions buy their own myth on
shorter work time.

The Sandwichman