Marvin Gandall wrote:

> However, as the subject of "shorter hours at no loss
> in pay" is mostly
> academic nowadays anyways, it's hardly worth beating
> to death, so I'm done.

If by "mostly academic" you mean a subject of
historical research more than an active slogan of
labour unions, I would have to agree. As an activist
for reduced working time, however, I often find that
the slogan is raised as an _objection_ (from "both
sides") to working shorter hours. Leftists claim that
workers "can't afford" shorter hours  because they
can't afford to lose any pay. They fall back on the
old slogan. Business claims that they "can't afford"
shorter hours because of fixed costs and the demand
for no cut in pay. Funny, none of these folks can
"afford" to look for a solution but everyone can
afford the status quo of high social, medical and
personal costs of long hours and high unemployment.

Fortunately, the response from the general population
is much more positive.

The Sandwichman