On 8/15/06, Leigh Meyers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "You still have not answered the question. You still have not answered
> the question. Israel must be wiped off the map. Why?"
>
> "Well, don't be hasty sir," the president said. "I'm going to get to
> that. I think that the Israeli government is a fabricated government."
>
> "Fabricated" following the Holocaust, which he's said may also have
> been fabricated.
>
> Last December, Ahmadinejad said the Europeans had created a myth of
> the Holocaust.
>
> "What I did say was, if this is a reality, if this is real, where did
> it take place?" Ahmadinejad replied.
>
> "In Germany," Wallace said.
>
> "Who — who caused this in Europe?" Ahmadinejad asked.
>
> "In Europe. If I may … so …what you're suggesting — one moment — what
> you're suggesting then, that Israel should be over in Germany because
> that's where the holocaust took place?" Wallace asked.
>
> "I'm not saying that, mind you," the president replied.
>
> But he has said Israel could be moved to Europe, or even to the United
> States but it shouldn't be in Palestine.
>
> "Well, if an atrocity was committed in Germany or Europe for that
> matter, why should the Palestinians answer for this?" the president
> asked. "They had no role to play in this. Why on the pretext of the
> Holocaust they have occupied Palestine? Millions of people have been
> made refugees. Thousands of people to-date have been killed, sir.
> Thousands of people have been put in prison. Well, at the very moment,
> a great war is raging because of that."
>
> "Look if you could — if you could keep your answers concise. Concise.
> I beg you. We'll get more questions in," Wallace requested.
.
... A classic example of what I had stated previously... Quantity (not
quality), size (not viability), more (and more & more & more). The
Western Industrialized Nations Disease. (WIND)

I watched the interview on CBS, and then I watched it again on C-Span,
as C-Span's came with a call-in segment after the interview.  Judging
by the callers' remarks (though it must be said that the only people
who watch things like this on C-Span are likely to be studious
liberals and leftists), the President of Iran did well: a majority of
callers said that Mike Wallace was being condescending, disrespectful,
too confrontational, and so on and/or that America should seek more
opportunities for dialogues like this with the leaders of Iran and
other nations of the Middle East, with only a tiny minority saying
that Wallace didn't ask tough questions.

I wish the voice of ordinary Americans counted for something -- then,
there would be neither sanctions nor wars on Iran.  But those
good-hearted Americans who want dialogues rather than more wars do not
yet know how to stop their rulers.
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>