From: "Perelman, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, February 7, 2007 7:07:54 PM
Subject: Re: PEN-L should be announcing capitalism's shortcomings more than the
Sun-Times

Doug wrote: Ok, suppose this is true. Then what? How do "progressive
economists"
turn this to their advantage? What's the political import of all this
Godot-ish waiting?

Doug asked how we could use information about the weakening economy.  I
was working for a big company for a while during the Vietnam War.  At
first, my antiwar discussions fell on deaf ears.  Once the war seemed to
be a factor in dropping the value of the company's stock, people
suddenly wanted to hear what I had to say.

I think that as the economy weakens, an opportunity opens to have a
political effect.  Understanding the nature of the problem, and even
better being able to explain it as it unfolds, enhances that
opportunity.

Michael Perelman
Economics Department
California State University