On 3/13/07, Julio Huato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
In the spirit of what you wrote before, regular working people in the
U.S. (let alone activists) shouldn't limit themselves to just predict
the evolution of oil consumption while assuming ourselves as chopped
liver.  We're not.  Insofar as we take responsibility, we're *the*
decisive factor in the future evolution of oil consumption in the
country and, given the size of our economy, in the world.  We can make
projections of the kind self-fulfilling, just as we can preempt them.
We are consumers, producers, citizens, human beings -- capable of
thought, communication, and concerted action.  As such we can turn
things around.

Theoretically, yes, but fast enough, in time to prevent potentially
catastrophic consequences of climate change?  James Hansen says:

    [W]e have at most ten years -- *not ten years to decide
    upon action, but ten years to alter fundamentally the
    trajectory of global greenhouse emissions.* Our previous
    decade of inaction has made the task more difficult,
    since emissions in the developing world are accelerating.
    To achieve the alternative scenario will require prompt
    gains in energy efficiencies so that the supply of conventional
    fossil fuels can be sustained until advanced technologies
    can be developed. If instead we follow an energy-intensive
    path of squeezing liquid fuels from tar sands, shale oil, and
    heavy oil, and do so without capturing and sequestering
    CO2 emissions, climate disasters will become unavoidable.
    (Jim Hansen, "The Threat to the Planet," NYRB 53.12,
    13 July 2006,
<http://www.nybooks.com/articles/19131>)

We won't run out of oil, but we can very well run out of time to
prevent the worst climate disasters if Hansen is correct.  That is
especially the case since there is no Left to speak of in the USA, the
US working class are mostly politically inactive, and the US power
elite have not sense of urgency of action.  How do you propose to
change these political facts and begin to "alter fundamentally the
trajectory of global greenhouse emissions" in ten years?
--
Yoshie
<http://montages.blogspot.com/>