is instead always at a crossroads,
where slight differences in the
balance of power and even minor
accidents can have major long-term
effects. (What if the US hadn't
been able to figure out the Japanese
military's secret code and then
had lost the battle of Midway?)

Under which conditions a nation with a significantly lower productive
force of labor can retain their military supremacy over nations with a
higher productive force?

I imagine that only under very extreme conditions.  A couple of
"fortunate" historical accidents wouldn't suffice to keep things on
that track.  You'd need a long series of short-run accidents (a highly
unlikely scenario) for that to situation to perpetuate.

Since I don't have a teleological view of history, I have no problem
accepting the *possibility* of a nation with an economy in ruins
dominating the rest of the world forever, while the rest of the world
has a booming peaceful economy; all as a result of sequence of
accidents.  But, would I consider that a likely event?  Not really.
That's what I mean by my referring to the longer-run rule, as opposed
to the shorter-run accidents.