Jim Devine wrote:

On the other hand, military efficiency
does not automatically imply efficiency
in general. In 1940, for example, the
Germans (arguably) were much more
efficient than France in military
matters. But wasn't France more efficient
at serving its population's wants and
needs at that time?

You're referring to concrete, shorter-run accidents.  I'm referring to
the general, longer-run rule.  Obviously, for a given nation, the best
(most sustainable in the long run) path to military supremacy for a
given nation cannot be the degradation of their productive force, the
decay of their economy.  Actually, often that may happen as a result
of its emphasis on military force, as history shows.

But back to the topic: The argument about the commons is about the
general, long-term, historical viability of a communist society.  At
least, that's the way I thought you had alluded to it, the first time
you mentioned it.