I don't have much trouble with what Jim says:

> Lower interest rates don't automatically increase (fixed) investment.
> Anyway, a glut of saving could hurt national income (as I said), which
> (all else equal) would hurt fixed investment.

Absolutely.  But it should under the assumptions of conventionl economics.

Then Jim says:
> Contrary to what I said in the quote, excess saving could hurt
> profits. This would happen by reducing their _realization_ by
> depressing national income. Thus, the realized profit rate could be
> depressed, even though excess savings have no direct effect on the
> ability of the system to _produce_ profits (which is what I was
> thinking of in the quote).

Yes, but an important part of the realization problem is the transfer of income
the speculative class.

> The profit rate could be hurt by over-investment, as Michael suggests,
> but it could also be hurt by inadequate realization of profit. As
> noted above, this might result from excessive saving (insufficient
> consumer demand).
>
> In the current "weak labor" era, the two abstract kinds of crises I
> see as possible are:
>
> (1) over-investment relative to consumer demand; the accumulation
> process becomes increasingly unstable, prone to recession. Something
> like this happened, IMHO, in the late 1920s and maybe in the late
> 1990s. The late housing boom had some elements of this kind of
> over-accumulation.

Yes, exactly what I was saying.  We are on the same page.

> (2) the underconsumption trap, which occurs once accumulation is
> blocked by unused capacity, excessive corporate debt, and/or
> pessimistic expectations of future profits. (At least two out of three
> seem needed. At most, I see only one at present.)  Something like this
> happened in the early 1930s, I believe, while it's possible that
> Bernanke and Greenspan were concerned about something like this
> possibility in the early 2000s. (They likely don't think the same way
> I do!_
>
> The specific manifestation of these kinds of crisis tendencies depends
> crucially on the specifics of the era. We should never expect history
> to repeat itself. In the current era, constraints on the supplies of
> raw materials (specifically oil but maybe also water) could stop an
> over-investment surge of type (1), sending the economy into a downward
> spiral of type (2). Of course, the specific manifestation of crisis
> tendencies currently involves much more international factors (e.g.,
> accumulation in China, India) than in previous decades.
>
> Michael also says:
> > Also, lower interest would cut into a major a source of profit.
>
> Lower interest rates don't hurt the ability of the system to produce
> profits.

I am thinking in more conventional terms, not in terms of surplus, of the
interest
payments made by ordinary people, not business.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321