Regarding what Anthony wrote below, here is a snippet from my book,
Manufacturing
Discontent.

I recall overhearing a conversation at an economics conference around 1992.  I
thought that I recognized the voice of the speaker behind me.  I looked over my
shoulder and confirmed that I was hearing Milton Friedman, the doyen of
conservative
economists, enthusiastically explaining the implications of the prospects of
trade
with China.
  Friedman made no mention of China's political and economic characteristics,
which
you might think would make close relations with China less than desirable in his
eyes.  Instead, he extolled the potential effect of expanded trade with China on
U.S. labor markets.  Friedman predicted that the potential addition of about
one-half billion Chinese workers, many of whom would be producing for the U.S.
market, would impose a decidedly negative effect on wages in the United States.
 Of
course, China is not the only less developed economy whose products are
supplanting
those from the United States.  China probably captured Friedman's interest only
because of its immense size, comprising about one-fourth of the world's
population.
  A few months later, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friedman's continuing
enthusiasm for Chinese trade in a story about how workers were falling behind
at the
time:  "It's not widely recognized how enormous this effect is," says Milton
Friedman, the Nobel Prize-winning economist. "You've got a billion people in
China
who suddenly are available for use with capital.  You have half a billion
behind the
(former) Iron Curtain" (Zachary and Ortega 1993)

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321