On 10/28/07, Doyle Saylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> What I think though is class matters, that nothing about being a smart
> mathematician can prove anything in class society except class matters.

It is a bit more complex than that. Sabri, for instance, considered it
noteworthy that a black Ethiopian man was one of the best
mathematicians he knows. The reason it is noteworthy is the fact that
Africans are *hugely* under-represented in the math and scientific
communities. This is also true in India where upper-caste Brahmins
utterly dominate the intellectual classes, the prestigious tech and
management universities and the Civil service. The admission process
into these institutions are not biased in any way and are as near to a
blind meritocracy as it is possible to get. These gross distortions
cry out for an explanation. The genetic 'explanation' is immediately
exposed as nonsense the moment you try to formulate it, but on the
other hand saying it is 'social' or 'cultural' factors is a mere
tautology and explains nothing.

Lets be realistic here: no one seriously thinks that non-whites are
inferior based on the statistical evidence of the Bell Curve. On its
own that evidence is meagre and I doubt James Watson would be saying
the things he is saying on that basis. The real reason why this racial
inferiority myth persists is because of the anecdotal evidence, the
obvious distortions we see everyday. In other words why are there so
few black mathematicians?
-raghu.