Greetings Economists,
On Oct 29, 2007, at 10:49 AM, David B. Shemano wrote:

While Raghu would rather we not try and answer these questions,
answers may be coming and we should be prepared for those answers.

Doyle;
You have a touching faith in genetics to bare the truth of inherited
ability.  That is just a bit of a way from saying the King is right
because he was born that way.  That genetic assertion long ago went by
the wayside as a way of recognizing what society can do with human
brains.  When one talks about brain potential you neglect the cultural
elements that open the question, not leave it closed as if genes
offered the complete answer in 'potential'.  A child that can't read
points to the weakness of a 'reading' culture in the face of brain
potential.  A culture that makes women second class citizens appears to
be realistic because so many agree it's true women are the 'weaker'
sex.  And so on.  How do you suppose genetics will finally make it
clear inheritance makes the King right or women inferior?  However
rather than see this as baiting opportunity to clarify how I think you
are wrong, I'll just say, the case of making equality between people
continues to develop ever more deeply as we better understand the
brain.
thanks,
Doyle Saylor