On Sun, 2007-11-11 at 15:35 -0800, Jim Devine wrote:
> > > Laurent writes:
> > PS: the astute reader will have noticed that USA fed/gov debt makes
> > 99.99999% of the headlines and papers but count for less than 20% of
> > total USA debt, the other 80% is unknown to MSN and most economists.
> > One sector debt has (nominally) doubled in the last 8 years and just
> > reached 100% of GDP without "anyone" noticing.
>
> "One sector debt" = ??

Household debt: went from 6.4 trillions in 1999 to 13.3 trillions
in Q2 2007 (all nominal - I assume), 75% of it is mortgage debt and
the remaining 25% consumer debt (Z1 report page 8).

BEA published current dollar GDP for 2007 is 13.8 trillions (Q2 yearly /
seasonally adjusted, table 3 of Q3 release) which makes household debt
96% of GDP in the USA.

The average yearly household debt increase over the last eight years was
0.86 trillions per year or about 6.2% of 2007 GDP or about 8.8% of 2007
personal consuption expenditure. Truly enormous numbers.

I wonder why no one adjust growth by debt variations (debt is just
betting on future GDP after all), any taker?

Laurent