On Wednesday 10 October 2001 12:46, Michael G Schwern wrote:

> I'm wary of putting this in.  I'm afraid that a skip_rest() in a test
> wouldn't last long under continued additions to the test.  It imposes
> a restriction that every test below that point must be effected by it,
> and anything you don't want skipped must be above it which seems to me
> too broad.

That's a good point.  I see this as helpful in situations like the
Term::Complete test, where there's a range of configurations where the test
can't be run at all.  If the test gets to that point, it's not worth even
attempting to continue.

It may just be that we're getting in to the Hard To Test Portably modules now
in the core, where this is much more common than normal.

> I'm curious what trouble you ran into with the usual SKIP block.

It's doable there, yes.  I just don't like the potential of nesting them.

Of course, commenting tests well does a lot for maintenance too... but that's
another rant and rave.

-- c