I was poking around on CPAN and noticed this rather complete
alternative to Pod::Tests for embedding tests in code, a bit closer to
what Barrie was discussing.

I've invited the author onto the list and hopefully he'll say a few
words.  I'd also like people to poke around with it, see what its all
about.

NAME

   Test::Unit - Procedural style unit testing interface

SYNOPSIS

   use Test::Unit;

   # your code to be tested goes here

   sub foo { return 23 };
   sub bar { return 42 };

   # define tests

   sub test_foo { assert(foo() == 23, "Your message here"); }
   sub test_bar { assert(bar() == 42, "I will be printed if this fails"); }

DESCRIPTION

   Test::Unit is the procedural style interface to a sophisticated
   unit testing framework for Perl that is derived from the JUnit
   testing framework for Java by Kent Beck and Erich Gamma. While
   this framework is originally intended to support unit testing
   in an object-oriented development paradigm (with support for
   inheritance of tests etc.), Test::Unit is intended to  provide
   a simpler interface to the framework that is more suitable for
   use in a scripting style environment. Therefore, Test::Unit
   does not provide much support for an object-oriented approach
   to unit testing - if you want that, please have a look at
   Test::Unit::TestCase.