[I sent thi sofflist to Schwern, but since everybody likes to chat about
their modules' testcount, I'll resend it ;]

Moin,

On 15-Dec-01 Michael G Schwern tried to scribble about:
> On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 11:48:29PM +0100, Tels wrote:
>> Te"One day Math::Big* will have more tests than Perl;)"ls
> One day Perl will have more tests than Bit::Vector.  67255 at last count.

Some random thoughts before I go into dreamland:

BigInt 'cheats' - some tests are duplictes by running it
trough a subclass or by running the testsuite trough a Calc simulation
(BareCalc) which "misses" some things of Calc and thus tests the simulation
of Calc inside BigInt (did I say it is complicated? ;) Although only very
few tests could be removed without loss, nearly all are important and
unique.

As a consequnce of this test-"duplication", adding a test to bigint adds
about 6 to the test count (one "real" test, one test for validity of the
internal structure, and multiply this by 3 for running it trough a subclass
and barecalc). (Adding on test to bigfloat usually adds two to the testcount
for the same reason).

OTOH, the validity tests are all lumped together, from 2 to 9
"conditions" are tested for beeing valid in one go, and only if all are
valid the test succeeds. If I would change that to individual ok(), the
test count would sky-rocket ;)

Bit::Vector's test-count looks like it dependes on the system (32
vs 64 bit?). What's pretty amazing is its speed, my system munches them in
about 2 seconds. BigInt's 8500 tests still need about 12 seconds. :-(

Cheers,

Te"Coverage counts more than test counts"ls

- --
 "Why do you go so slowly? Do you think this is some kind of game?"
 PGP key available on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or via email.
 perl -MDev::Bollocks -e'print Dev::Bollocks->rand(),"\n"'
 greatly disseminate interactive technologies