On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 02:38:03PM +0100, Fergal Daly wrote:
> 1 problem here is that you have not indicated anywhere how many times you will
> be extending the plan

Some sort of *optional* way to specify that would be nice.

> > The former has the large disadvange of requiring all subtests to be aware
> > of test-wide state.  And I can't think of any major advantages, though it
> > is a bit more readable.
>
> The other advantage is the ability to do
>
> 1..4
> ok 1
> plan 1..2
> ok 2.1
> ok 2.2
> ok 2 # plan was ok
> ok 3
> ok 4
>
> That is, extend again before you finish the current extension.
>
> You could allow extensions at any time but then you lose the ability to know
> if you ran 4 + 2 tests or 5 + 1,

Not if you introduce an end tag (though I'd rather not).

1..4
ok 1
1..2
ok 1
ok 2
2..1
ok 2
ok 3
ok 4
4..1

Though now the 'no_plan' style in a subplan gets confusing.  We might have
to change the no_plan style so that it has to produce some sort of header.
It might be literally "1..N".

--
Michael G Schwern        [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Cheating is often more efficient.