On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 06:45:12PM -0400, Randy W. Sims wrote:
> It's worded as if the description were a name rather than a description.

No matter what TAP wants to call it, its just more information associated
with the test.  This might be a name, a description, an explaination,
diagnostic info... and, of course, its hard to say when a description
becomes a name and vice versa.

But in the end it comes down to astectics...

> I like keeping the message the same, and moving the description
> somewhere after the "Failed..." message:
>
> > #     Failed test (/Users/schwern/tmp/during.t at line 6)
> > #     'During this is a really long name and its pretty long you see'
> > #          got: '42'
> > #     expected: '23'
> > # Looks like you failed 2 tests of 2.

I originally tried that.  It has the nice properties of not making the file
and line number info jump around.  But it doesn't look so hot when the
description is short.

#   Failed test (/Users/schwern/tmp/during.t at line 6)
#   'Is this that?'
#          got: '42'
#     expected: '23'

> Should there be a way to turn on/off the description? A higher verbosity
> level? I can't think of a reason for it, but...

YAGNI.  FWIW the description is only shown when running in a harness because
otherwise you can see it in the "ok" line.

--
Michael G Schwern     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern
ROCKS FALL! EVERYONE DIES!