Gabor Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have just moved to Ubuntu and thought I will try to rely on apt-get
> to install my Perl modules. Quckly I hit a wall and could not install some
> of the basic modules. I did not have the time to investigate and check
> if I made a mistake or if there is a .deb repository with the latest CPAN
> modules for Ubuntu. I reverted to use CPAN.pm.
> BTW here is an article on how to build Debian packages of Perl modules:
> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/78
>

> Anyway I think instead of trying to setup our own binary distribution
> we might want to make sure there are up to date repositories of
> Perl modules for the major distributions
> (and I am not talking only about Linux distributions here).
> It can be done by helping the people who already maintain some of these
> distributions or by setting up repositories such as debian.cpan.org,
> fedora.cpan.org, etc...

        That is such an incredibly good idea. I've got plenty of bandwidth
to burn and I'm willing to set up debian.cpan.org.

        I think the most obvious way to automate this would be to take
advantage of the whole perl package / dependancy / build / test process that
the YACsmoke module already offers us. Maybe
CPAN::YACSmoke::Plugin::Packager, with children ::Deb, ::RPM, ::PPM, etc.
These modules could just stick their built packages into an outgoing
directory (or maybe multiple, "noarch", "i386", etc); some distros would be
able to just nab those and their metainfo and roll a repo out of it, maybe
some we'll have to write tools to do that for as well.

                - Tyler