Steffen Mueller wrote:
Michael G Schwern schrieb:
What's broken and why suddenly 5.8.8?

* ActivePerl::Config on case-insensitive filesystems interacts
  erroneously with Module::Install's (outdated) @INC hack, so remove it.
  (Patch from Gisle Aas)
[...]

Sounds like its a combination of an M::I hack and Windows being the bad platform its often perceived as.

I take issue with the "bad platform" bit. The underlying issue is Perl developers who assume unix semantics (perhaps unconsciously, even) and don't write for portability.

The Vanilla Perl project (vanillaperl.com) has been squashing numerous bugs of this sort in CPAN modules. There are surprisingly many forward/backslash bugs, even by developers who should know better. Many of them crop up in test-suites, even when the code itself uses File::Spec.

The M::I hack doesn't help, but probably neither does AS's config hacking.

David Golden