Tels wrote:
My idea was to build _only_ the database, and do it right, simple and easy to use and then get everyone else to just use the DB instead of fiddling with their own. (simple by having the database being superior to every other hack thats in existance now :-)

I even got so far as to do a mockup v0.02 - but then went back to playing Guildwars.

Is this a project that would be of general interest?

At YAPC::NA, Adam Kennedy mention that he wanted to try to make some headway on CPAN::Index, which sounds very similar in intent. While it's not released, you can see the formative project at his public repository:

http://tinyurl.com/g888h

Perhaps you can join forces with him and help push some collective project towards a release.

Regards,
David Golden