On Thursday 13 July 2006 23:37, H.Merijn Brand wrote:

> If I got it right, the wish that was expressed is more like the wish for
> an installer with a GUI.

Nope, just for a nice, easily-installable bundle of modules that work around
the unpleasant backwards compatibilities and warts of Perl 5.

For example, I use SUPER a lot because it's completely silly that the method
redispatcher works based on the stash of the subroutine, set to its compile
time package, not on the current class and method name.

I'm warming up to Class::MOP because I'm tired of fiddling with package
variables and symbolic references to deal with @ISA.

It would include a profiler that actually works, unlike Devel::DProf which, as
far as I can tell, is a Perl module to segfault.

It would include File::Find::Rule because it has an interface less prone to
face-stabbing than File::Find, which is only in the core because it's been in
the core forever, not because its interface is nice (it isn't) or the code is
nice (it really isn't).

It would include Class::Std or Object::InsideOut or one of those because it's
about time Perl encouraged people to write classes that make sense.

It would include documentation about which modules I chose and why and when to
use them.

That's what I want -- the useful modules that aren't in the core that do
things that should have been in the language for the start but weren't.  In
other words, it's the modules I use all the time to be productive.

Novices shouldn't have to spent eight years learning the language and the good
modules the way I did to be productive.

-- c