On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 23:52:02 -0700, chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thursday 13 July 2006 23:37, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
>
> > If I got it right, the wish that was expressed is more like the wish for
> > an installer with a GUI.
>
> Nope, just for a nice, easily-installable bundle of modules that work around
> the unpleasant backwards compatibilities and warts of Perl 5.

I was talking about the wish of the person I talked to. Not your wish :)
But your exposition makes some things quite clear.

> For example, I use SUPER a lot because it's completely silly that the method
> redispatcher works based on the stash of the subroutine, set to its compile
> time package, not on the current class and method name.
>
> I'm warming up to Class::MOP because I'm tired of fiddling with package
> variables and symbolic references to deal with @ISA.
>
> It would include a profiler that actually works, unlike Devel::DProf which,
> as
> far as I can tell, is a Perl module to segfault.
>
> It would include File::Find::Rule because it has an interface less prone to
> face-stabbing than File::Find, which is only in the core because it's been in
> the core forever, not because its interface is nice (it isn't) or the code is
> nice (it really isn't).
>
> It would include Class::Std or Object::InsideOut or one of those because it's
> about time Perl encouraged people to write classes that make sense.
>
> It would include documentation about which modules I chose and why and when
> use them.
>
> That's what I want -- the useful modules that aren't in the core that do
> things that should have been in the language for the start but weren't.  In
> other words, it's the modules I use all the time to be productive.

For *you* to be productive. For *me*, I would see all that as bloat. I *hate*
OO programming. Not only in Perl. It is that DBI and Tk have no alternatives,
so I have to do some OO, but it still does not feel like the FUN I get out of
the other corners of the many perl features

> Novices shouldn't have to spent eight years learning the language and the
> good
> modules the way I did to be productive.

What makes someone productive? They want to get the job done. If they only
convert CVS to MS-Excel or vise-versa, they will never ever need all the
things you mention. If they want to set up a simple web page with MySQL and
DBI, they don't need it either.

I cheer your plan. Really I do, but then there should be targetted bundles.
Not 'Plus' or 'Extra'. What is Plus for one is Minus or Bloat for others.

Look at the list of modules I include in my perl distributions for HP-UX at
http://mirrors.develooper.com/hpux/#Perl and you might get an idea of what
I think are useful modules that my work more effective. Not quite like yours
is it?

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using & porting perl 5.6.2, 5.8.x, 5.9.x  on HP-UX 10.20, 11.00, 11.11,