Or, perhaps we need the "Perl CPAN Cookbook" -- which would be like the
Cookbook but focuses *only* on the greatest-hits modules across all the
same categories.  If CPAN is one of Perl's greatest strengths, shouldn't
that get more attention, too?
Er, right.  Now let me don my editor hat.

Authors welcome!
A book like this is something that's been in the back of my mind for a while. If there were real interest in this topic (and I think there is), I would be happy to help out in a significant way, like writing several chapters.

If someone is interested, maybe we can hash out a ToC / outline and submit a proposal to O'Reilly? That would be pretty neat :)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway