chromatic wrote:
> On Thursday 14 September 2006 13:14, Ovid wrote:
>
>> What's 'bonus'?  I haven't figured that out yet.
>
> That should be the number of successful TODO tests.  If it's not, I have no
> idea.
>
>> Also, I never tracked the exit status of the tests.  Frankly, I never used
>> that number myself.  Does anyone?  If so, can anyone provide a use case?
>
> Originally that was to indicate the number of failing tests, but using an
> unsigned eight-bit integer really limites the applicability.  You should be
> able to ignore it.

That use of the exit code is a Test::More-ism and came in rather late in the
game.  It was put in to allow you to determine how many tests failed without
having to parse the output.  I don't know of anyone who actually used it to
that effect.

The true purpose of the harness tracking the exit code is because of this:

1..2
ok 1
ok 2
Segmentation fault

That is a failing test, you have to check for a non-zero exit code to know
that.  So no, you can't ignore it.

Its also useful information.  When you program explodes sometimes its useful to
know its exit and wait status.