Adrian Howard wrote:

Yeah - it's something I've noticed over the last year or so. I'm talking to people less about "you should write tests", and much more about "you should write /good/ tests".

What do people think are *good* tests?

My modules mostly have *comprehensive* tests, but that doesn't make them good. In particular, my tests are largely uncommented, depend on previous tests working, and are generally not laid out particularly clearly. So my attempt to make my tests good will mostly consist of applying the same coding standards to the test suites as I do to the rest of the code.

Any tips on what - other than comprehensiveness, clarity and maintainability - I should aim for specifically in test suites would be greatly appreciated.

--
David Cantrell