On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:04:54AM -0800, Ovid wrote:

> --- Nadim Khemir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 11 January 2007 15:30, Ovid wrote:
> > > Quite often people will write code which tests to see if
> > > $ENV{HARNESS_ACTIVE} is true.  For example, this allows them to not
> > > email support from their code while testing.  This variable is set
> > in
> > > Test::Harness.  However, this causes a problem when someone
> > > accidentally does this:

> > > Thoughts?
> >
> > Just one, Shouldn't the mailer "object" be mocked and the mail
> > sending checked?
>
> Absolutely, but how do you know to mock it or really send the email
> unless you know that you're being run by tests?

If I needed to know for sure whether I was running a test or not, I
think I would make sure the test specified that somehow.  Whether that
was by directly setting an environment variable, or by using a package
or by mocking a mailer or whatever, I think I would want to take the
responsibility for that.

Now I can see uses for knowing whether or not you are being run as part
of an installation, or in some automated environment, and I can imagine
someone would have a use for HARNESS_ACTIVE, though I can't see it
myself, but I'm not sure this is it.

And I'm afraid I didn't understand the paragraph about RUNNING_TESTS.
Perhaps it's just me, but if you don't get any sensible comments on that
you might want to try that paragraph again.

--
Paul Johnson - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pjcj.net