The POD testing I can mostly agree with.

Unfortunately, the pod coverage tests requires the module to be compiled, so CPANTS can never safely run it, and thus can never run it at all. :)

Adam K

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
# from Adam Kennedy
# on Saturday 28 July 2007 09:38 am:

Thus, I would like to propose the following.

1. That the running of POD-related tests by end users is considered
harmful.

+20

2. That the test_pod and test_pod_coverage tests by modified, such
that these tests check for the mentioning of $ENV{AUTOMATED_TESTING}
in the tests scripts, ensuring that the tests not only exist, but
exist in a form that is otherwise benign for end users.

I propose that they be deleted.

The build system already contains all of the needed info to accomplish the same thing.

  ./Build testpod
  ./Build testpodcoverage

That's part of my pre-release process, thus my dists will never contain these files.

Running a kwalitee check is also part of the pre-release process, but I omit these 'has a file $foo' metrics because I believe they *hinder* quality. Perhaps the dist should contain a kwalitee.yml file stating which checks were run and which metrics are being protested. That's conveying the information: "Yes, I care about quality and I have imposed these standards on myself before releasing."

CPANTS should *just run* testpod and testpodcoverage -- report the results, not the presence of some file which may or may not work.

--Eric