--- David Golden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/30/07, Ovid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > We also have dependencies on Sub::Uplevel (a notorious source of
> build
> > problems),
>
> Excuse me?  CPAN::Testers for Sub::Uplevel 0.14: PASS 165 FAIL 0
>
> There was a time when Test::Exception had things in build_requires
> that should have been in requires
<snip>

Yes, you're right.  That was a unfair of me.  I was rushing off to the
pub and wanted to get the email out quickly.  I shouldn't have cast
aspersions on a great module.  The Test::Exception/Sub::Uplevel problem
causing false negatives was always a bit frustrating for me and it came
out in the last email.

I'm sorry if I offended you :(

> So, yes, that's a rough and stupid calculation.
>
> CPAN is a core strength of Perl because it makes developer's lives
> easier by not reinventing the wheel.  More usage of modules means
> more installs and points of dependency failure.

The calculation was not intended to be a serious attempt to put forward
numbers.  It was a serious attempt to show how minor, avoidable
failures can quickly become a major headache.

> So let's not start a "dependencies are bad" bandwagon

Dependences are not bad and I never said that.  Dependencies which
cause false negatives are bad.

Cheers,
Ovid

--