On Sunday 02 December 2007 18:48, Chris Dolan wrote:

> In this fashion, we use TODO tests to track when bugs in our
> dependent packages get fixed, and then when we can remove workarounds
> therefore.
>
> Chris

This discussion is interresting and it's always educating to understand why
other do thing in what might first appear to be a strange way.

One of the things I wrote was that I wanted _my_ tests to fail on a passed
TODO. This would let other use the process they see fit.

I have no doubt that any of us can deal with the "passed TODO" but we may not
be the most representative developers. I like the principle of least surprise
and passing todo are very very surprising, so surprising that (most) people
writing Todos don't expect them to pass at all (I like to believe) and most
people using modules might be surprised by that too;

How we deal with passed todos in _our_ modules is easy. The question is how do
you deal with _other's modules_ passing todo?

I mail the author, look in the code, mail here and discuss.

Most I believe, and it's regreatable, don't even bother looking. they scan
for 'OK' and are happy with that. (I used to; now I like to see xx/yyy tests,
that gives me a , false, sense of security)

There is a third kind of module users. Entreprise users, people who follow a
process, people investing money in development and that don't like to take
risks. For those people, "Unexpectedly passed" screams "BROKEN".

There is not simple solution to this problem. but I would like to be able to
check my modules more thorowly and I would like to be able to setup cpan so I
can say "unexpectedly succeeded" == failed so I can avoid some less competent
manager come and put a list of 'weird modules used in my project' under my
nose.

Cheers, Nadim.

PS: some of you always send two mails, one to the original mail author and one
to the list. it's OK but getting the information just once is, IMO, better.