Michael G Schwern said:

The problem I'm hearing over and over again is "Test::Builder is spewing crap all over my screen and obscuring the first, real failure". So now that the problem is clearly stated, how do we solve it without making all that spew (which can be useful) totally unavailable?

Ok, a shot in the dark...

1. Redirect test output to a temporary log file (which should get cleaned
   up during "make clean" &al.)
2. Let the harness be "aware" of this log file, and "tail(1)" it as things
   get written to it, printing whatever's relevant/asked for to the
   terminal.
3. If there's an error detected, write a warning at the end of the test
   run, pointing to the log file (and perhaps line number in it.)

- Salve

--
#!/usr/bin/perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print#  Salve Joshua Nilsen