* chromatic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-09-04 23:15]:
> UNIVERSAL::isa and UNIVERSAL::can are examples of applying the
> design principle of Report Bugs Where They Are, Not Where They
> Appear.

How do you propose doing that in the general case? I am certainly
interested in what technology you have invented so that computer
programs can automatically debug themselves and detect the real
source of any problems.

> Earlier versions had one tremendous flaw in that they reported
> all *potential* failures, rather than actual actionable
> failures explicitly worked around. This was a huge mistake to
> which I clung to stubbornly for far too long, and I've
> corrected it in recent versions. However good my intentions in
> maintaining that feature, the effects worked against my goals.

Just in the last couple of days, David Golden reported making at
least two (did I count correctly?) substantial changes to how
CPAN::Reporter grades tests, in order to prevent particular
classes of bogus FAILs. Isn’t that a demonstration of exactly the
same care?

Regards,