Hi,

brian d foy wrote:
> Beyond that, is there a way for everyone to see the list of those
> modules? That's what I meant about you changing pause, much like you
> did for 06.perms.
>
> It would also be nice to see that bit set somewhere like CPAN Search,
> maybe with a button that says "I want to take over maintenance".
>
> None of this happens any differently than before. Either we need
> fore-knowledge that the author has decided to move on in life, or our
> waiting period for public notification.

I think the number of those modules wouldn't be that high. That's
because people just gradually disappear and don't sit down to decide
that they're suddenly going to give up all their CPAN code. And that's
good: If we advertised too much that there's no need to maintain your
stuff, there'd be quite an incentive to upload things and then set the
"I don't want tedious work" flag.

> I'll do the work to handle the ones the authors give up without a
> maintainer, and my first idea was that a virtual user than we
> advertised as "free modules" (free as in kittens) would move modules
> int willing homes faster. But then, maybe not.

I think having a separate PAUSE ID would be too much work and
potentially fragile. Gabor gave a couple of examples of when it would be
sub-optimal.

Ideally, we'd have a flag for all modules (not only those on the list)
which search.cpan can then interpret at leisure.

Best regards,
Steffen